Danger in the Comfort Zone (Recommended Reading)


Entitlement.

Back in the 80's, when I went to college, I had to work nights so I could afford to go to school during the day. Lots of 60+ hour weeks working swing shift at a trucking company + trying to handle a full load of Economics and Business Administration work was a huge challenge. I'm glad that young people can muster up that kind of energy, because I don't think I could do it now that I'm in my 40's.

Early on in my college life, there was a woman in one of my classes who was doing basically the same thing I was; working nights to pay for college during the day. We commiserated because we were the two people constantly trying not to fall asleep in class -- not because we'd been out partying all night -- but because of working late.



I ran into that same woman as a junior or senior, and I still looked like the cat dragged something in. But, to my surprise, she looked well rested, groomed and tanned.

So I asked her what she was up to, and she, in a nutshell said she had the answer. She decided to get pregnant, have the baby, and then have the state welfare system help her pay for her housing and education. She said it was a lot easier than what we had been trying to do.

Many people I talk to have a similar story they've either heard about or experienced in their lives. This book addresses the entitlement mentality, and more importantly the 'curve' that we need to be on that is a balance of fear and extreme insecurity on one end, and entitlement on the other. The ideal is to be between those two extremes in our lives.

A great read, and not only will you see the trend in our society around us, but I know I learned a little about myself as well. I hope you can read this book and have the same experience.

Until next time...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Agile Framework (Parody) - By Dan Greenberg

How To Be An Effective Product Owner (The Getting Ready for Work Game) - By Dan Greenberg